Sunday, October 18, 2009

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Today, October 18th, marks my first full year of being here in Costa Rica! Crazy! In some ways, I can't believe it's been a whole year, while in other ways, it's felt more like a life time. But things are finally in full swing here in that we have sites up and running to some degree. There have been quite a few adjustments and changes that we've had to make, but all with the intentions of fine tuning the sites to fit the needs and desires of the community as well as the gifts and passions we have. With all this in mind, we have been making some adjustments and new developments at my site in Las Fuentes. In these last two weeks, I have begun leading kids in the community in various outdoor activities, in addition to the after school and tutoring programs that we already have established.

The week before last, Erin Janzen, Aiyla Shockency and I lead a group of about 20 kids on a hike up a hill behind the community to a cell tower that has an amazing panoramic view of the San Jose area. This last week, we had a couple days where we went to an open field that the kids call the "Play Azul." The first day we played soccer (of course) and had probably around 30-40 kids total that showed up, probably from ages 5-14. The next time we went, there were about 7 kids that we played baseball, or some kind of versions of baseball- basically it turned into the kids finding anything they could use as a bat and hitting the balls as I ran back and forth, retrieving the balls and pitching them to the kids. They seemed to like it- and I got a good workout! =) (A reason for the large difference in the number of kids that showed up is that kids switch off every other day having school either in the mornings or the afternoons. So when we have our field day on Tuesday afternoons, the kids that can come then generally can't come Friday afternoons, because they have class then). It's been fun to hang out with the kids in a different environment and it's even brought about kids that I haven't seen before, so I'm excited to be involved with the kids in this new way!

A while back, some ladies from the church asked me if I knew anything about aerobics or exercising. As it would so happen, I do. So, we've been looking at using the community center there in Las Fuentes and trying to figure out what days and times would work best. So, we talked to Pastor Gilberth about it and apparently he is the one who could arrange for us to use the building, free of charge. That same day, we talked to some of the women who would be interested in participating and we decided right then and there on the times and days that would work best. So, pretty much all is left is for me to figure out some music and learn some routines----of which I know my mom will be more than delighted to help me out with (she teaches a variety of aerobic type exercises). The women seem especially excited to get a jump, a hop and a kick on this ; )

Along with the after school program/tutoring, the home visits and the English course, I'm excited to see how these new projects go. Please pray for my organizational skills in being able to balance each of these projects, as well as coming up with creative ways of engaging people. Thank you very much for your prayers and I'll be sure to keep you up to date. =) Below are some pictures I took from the hike with the kids.



A little bit of controlled chaos, as we head out.




Erin and some of the kids on the way up.




We hiked up through a coffee plantation- those little plants in the background are baby coffee plants.




Two of the boys, checking out the view.




Some of us paused for a little break.



The kids picked some fruit along the way.




We made it to the top! Me, Aiyla and Erin sitting back and enjoying it.




No worries- we didn't let them get too high, but we couldn't exactly keep them completely grounded =)

No comments:

Post a Comment